Christmas in Taipei – What To Do and What To See!
Christmas in Taipei – What To Do and What To See!
[Updated December 2022]
The holiday season is upon us. Expats are getting that warm, fuzzy Christmas feeling inside and memories of running down to the Christmas tree on the morning of the 25th are beginning to materialize; however, for the locals, life continues on as normal on Christmas day.
Christmas in Taipei can be hard for expats, but Reach To Teach has you covered with a list of things to see, do, and EAT to get you in the holiday spirit.
Christmas is not an official holiday in Taiwan so people will still go to work, students will still be in school, and shops will still be open. Also, there will most definitely not be any snow on Christmas day in Taiwan (there probably won’t be anywhere I’m from in Maryland either, stupid global warming).
However, do not fret! There are still plenty of ways to get into the Christmas mood here in Taipei. Being fairly westernized, Taipei offers expats the feeling of Christmas without the mad dash to buy and exchange gifts. Decorations are set up all around the city and businesses offer special Christmas meals and deals.
Below are a few of the Christmas happenings around Taipei:
Christmas in Taipei: Food
Many hotels and businesses offer Christmas deals for dinners and buffets. A majority of the places will offer special dinners on December 24th and 25th. A majority of the dinners will run somewhere from NT$1500 – 2000 for the higher class places and around NT$1000 for the more casual experience. All of the following businesses can be found on Facebook and reservations are recommended.
- The Grand Hyatt Taipei offers a high-class Christmas set menu dinner with traditional Christmas food. Offered December 24th and 25th. One of the pricier options for the extravagance and presentation coming in at around $2000NTD. This is an all you can eat Christmas buffet, so go wild. Info can be found here The Grand Hyatt Christmas Dinner
- Carnegie’s – Taipei’s famous expat hangout offers Christmas Dinner from Dec. 21 to Dec. 27 that will include spinach soup and English shrimp garden salad for starters as well as a main course composed of a choice between traditional English roast turkey or roast beef. This will be topped off with a dessert selection of either traditional Christmas pudding or gingerbread cheesecake. For reservations, call 02-2325-4433.
- The W Hotel Kitchen Table provides customers with a pre fixed Christmas menu on weekends.
- The Sherwood Taipei has a variety of end of the year festivities and feasts. From lunches to parties, The Sherwood will have something for everyone. Their list of events can be found here The Sherwood Taipei Promotions
- Wendels German Bakery and Bistro, located in Tianmu, will set up a Christmas dinner from December 25th – 26th. They will also have a set menu that will give people a taste of German For those looking for a European style meal, this will be your place of choice. Wendels German Bakery and Bistro
Other places such as TGI Fridays, Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, Hard Rock Café, Tony Roma’s, and independent Western restaurants will have Christmas dinners as well.
Many places around Taipei decorate in Christmas fashion. The SOGO’s and big department stores deck the halls with lights and decorations.
- ChristmasLand in New Taipei City has been going strong for close to 10 years. This is going to be THE place to visit during the holidays. With a huge array of attractions, decorations, food, games, and music this will be an attraction you will not want to miss. It will boast the first 360- degree 3D projection mapping Christmas tree in the world. Located right off the Banqiao MRT line it is easily accessible and a DEFINITE must-see this season.
- Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT area has plenty of decorations. Do some walking around of the large department stores there. There is a huge Christmas tree set up in front of the SOGO there that is bound to make you feel a little more at home.
- Zhongshan MRT area also boasts plentiful decorations and music. A stroll around the area will make expats feel like they’re shopping back home.
- Taipei Arena will make you feel more at home with a nice ice skating session.
Clearly, the options in Taipei for Christmas abound! There will be plenty to do, eat, and see during the holidays; however, there is one thing that I couldn’t write up because it’s not something that you can search for on the streets of Taipei.
Family and Friends – This is what the holidays are really about.
Get together with your Taiwan family! You have a home away from home here in Taipei with friends that are your family. Spend time with them during the holidays. Whether you’re at home relaxing with a bottle of wine or going out for dinner, ice skating, at Christmasland, or a concert, make sure you enjoy it with your chosen friends here in Taiwan.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!