Resources for Teaching the Present Perfect Tense
When teaching English, plenty of grammar exists that teachers know how to use perfectly. But how do we explain it to our students? Do we even know ourselves what the terms for grammar means? The present perfect tense is one of the more difficult to understand and explain. Here are some resources for teaching and understanding the present perfect tense:
Teaching the Present Perfect Tense
- If you don’t know what the present perfect is, start with this video.[contextly_sidebar id=”jiLI3KJW9UKbmkyV4xJZ82sDgay0169R”]
- Here is a thorough explanation for using Present Perfect tense.
- This page offers some additional helpful links.
- Wikipedia has a great definition of Present Perfect
- Here is a discussion on when to use present perfect, as opposed to simple past. This is an especially important page as most ESL students don’t understand when to use present perfect right away.
- Advanced usage of present perfect
- How to teach present perfect tense from BusyTeacher
- Perfectly confused: Teaching the Present Perfect tense to your students
Example Sentences and Exercises for Present Perfect Tense
- Basic sentences using Present Perfect tense
- Comparison of present perfect with simple past
- Present Perfect Tense Worksheets
- Online quizzes for present perfect tense
- Information, articles for students, and tests on present perfect tense
- ESLFlow offers Present Perfect Tense lesson plans
Games and Activities for the Classroom
- ESL Games Plus offers a great present perfect vs. past tense rally
- Here is a Slideshare presentation for teaching present perfect through a U2 song.
- 15 fun Present Perfect activities for your classroom.
- Stickyball.net has some good activities for teaching the present perfect tense.
Do you have any games, activities or suggestions for teaching the present perfect tense? If you do, we’d love to hear from you! Send your suggestions to email@example.com if you’d like to see your tips added to this resource page.
The Grammar Tenses
- Simple Present (main verb)
- Simple Past (past tense of main verb)
- Simple Future (will or shall + main verb)
- Present Perfect (have or has + past participle of verb)
- Past Perfect (had + past participle of verb)
- Future Perfect (will or shall + have + past participle of verb)
- Present Progressive (form of “be” verb + “ing” form of main verb)
- Past Progressive (past tense of form “be” verb + “ing” form of main verb)
- Future Progressive (will or shall + be + “ing” form of main verb)
- Present Perfect Progressive (have or has + been + “ing” form of main verb)
- Past Perfect Progressive (had + been + “ing” form of main verb)
- Future Perfect Progressive (will or shall + have + been + “ing” form of main verb)